Dual Credit

What is Dual Credit?

Dual credit allows students to receive Centennial credit and Parkland credit at the same time. This can be done in two ways:
1. Take a dual credit class at Centennial. Classes are free.
2. Take a class on Parkland's campus. All regular Parkland tuition and fees apply and students must travel to Parkland to take the course(s). If you are considering a class on Parkland's campus for summer or fall, their schedule is now available here.

How do I register for Dual Credit courses?

If you plan to a dual credit class at Centennial, you will register for it during course registration with your counselor. This takes place during January-February each year. You must also complete the Parkland dual credit application process outlined below. If you are planning to take a course on Parkland's campus, you will need to register for the course with Parkland, in addition to completing to the dual credit application process.

Dual Credit Application Process

Students who would like to be eligible to receive dual credit must:
1. Sign up for a Parkland Dual Credit account (instructions available for download on the right).
2. Complete a Parkland Application (online or paper). Select "Non-degree seeking" student.
3. Take any necessary assessments (you will be contacted if you need to assess).

Students registering for dual credit classes for 2016-17 should complete steps one and two as soon as possible for fall classes and by Nov. 1 for spring classes. Students will then be contacted regarding any necessary assessments.

"Excel in College" Scholarship

Parkland College's CTE programs offer dual credit course for high school juniors and seniors in the following areas:
  • Automotives
  • Construction
  • Industrial Technology
  • Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)

Typically, students taking dual credit classes on Parkland's campus would pay Parkland tuition and fees. However Champaign Unit #4 School District and Parkland College have developed a program entitled “Excel in College” which provides a scholarship, that if awarded to a student, would pay for that student's course tuition, fees, and textbooks. If an applicant meets all the scholarship criteria then he or she would be considered for the scholarship. Download the "Excel In College" Scholarship Application and Description on the right side of the page for full details.


Dual Credit and College Applications

If you are asked to list college credit earned while in high school on your college applcations, you should include your dual credit coursework. The Parkland course information is listed below for courses offered at Centennial. If you have any questions about entering your dual credit on applications, please see Ms. Beata.
For more information, see Parkland's Dual Credit website